Total Pageviews

Saturday 21 July 2012

The old man...

A weekend without the hobbits at home is not much fun at all. It tends to be too quiet to concentrate or too tidy to do any housework.

So, with this in mind I have invited myself over to my Dad's house, knowing that not only he would be pleased to see me but also I might just get a free dinner if I behave myself.

Spending quality time with my old man has become very important to me. He looks a little bit like Santa Claus, (the hobbits inform me), has a great sense of humor with a slice of cheekiness inserted; loves Ogri from bike magazine and is a bit of an old eccentric.

The hobbits love to come to Grandpa's house as he has robots and dragons. Everywhere. The robots dance; light up, they can walk and talk; and he even makes robots out of things he collects from skips or stuff people have thrown out. The dragons are normally made out of wood, tin - or poking out of a clock.  He should have been an inventor or designer of toys, because whatever he makes or gathers the hobbits love, and whenever we visit he has to ensure that he has a rather large supply of batteries to ensure all the robots do what the hobbits tell them!

However, this weekend is a chance for me to have some quality time alone with him.  The reason that this is as important as it is, is because my dad and I have some lost time to make up for. Up until the early part of 2011, my dad and I hadn't spoken for over 10 years and hadn't seen each other for a heck of a lot longer.

I am sure we both had our reasons at the time. Nothing is ever one person, and both my dad and I are stubborn old buggers. I think to be honest it all came down to a lack of communication, and we both let things slide.

Anyway, rather than dwelling what was, I can tell readers of my blog that I now have a very wonderful, easy going relationship with my old man. His wife and he always make me and the hobbits feel welcome, they love spending time with us and us them; I am able to talk to him about any subject and we both have a lot to learn from each other.


Just for you Dad...your tank!
I love his eccentricity; the fact that he sends me emails posting me links to dating groups he has heard of, he sends me recipes for bread pudding and he is an avid reader of my blog.

Since I separated with my husband, he along with so many great friends, has been amazingly supportive. He never judged, he didn't scold me - he let me work through my decision in the right way and he has never told me that I am wrong.

So I am now blogging from his very smart computer, as alas mine wouldn't work (get the WiFi sorted dad) - and I think I may just be about to go out for my free dinner...well, a girl's gotta eat.

However, before I go - my dad has the most amazing motorbike with a custom painting on the tank. It is his pride and joy and he looks after it well...so with that in mind,
'Dad, you know I wanted to go 130 on a bike? Mind if I borrow the keys?'


1 comment:

biker said...

I think hatyou would be saver on a trike than a bike