Total Pageviews

Saturday 23 February 2013

Poker face...

Superman has challenged me several times today to a game of Snap.

It started at 7 this morning, and we have just had several more rounds at just gone 6pm. I am beginning to feel all a bit snapped out to be honest; and I am a little unsure why he wants to play all the time...because I always beat him.... I am one of those mothers!!!

He is a bit of a cheat as well. He will produce the card slowly so that he gets a good chance to see what it is before laying it on the table. His face gives it away every time...he hasn't quite learnt the art of having a good poker face. (Although he certainly knows how to belt out Lady Gaga's version.)

His innocence in the game is interesting to observe. He knows the rules, he knows what he needs to do to win but hasn't quite got the hang of having a straight face in order to carry off his cheating.

At what point does that change? At what point do we as adults start using our poker faces so that others think we are devoid of emotion or feelings?

Some people find it easier than others. I confess I am terrible at it, whether it is love or hate, funny or unfunny I am no good at hiding my true feelings. However, in the last couple of days I have seen others try (and some fail) to do this, in order to protect themselves. Mainly because they don't want to upset someone else; that they have a fear that their true feelings may not be what someone else wants to hear...or alternatively is too much for someone to hear.

However as children we do not have that fear. Children deal with rejection and love equally, and subjectively. It doesn't cloud their judgement of who they are...it is what it is. No sooner that one child has been told that their friend is not their best friend anymore, than they forgive them and are sharing a bag of haribos by the swing.

We shouldn't have to hide behind a poker face. We are who we are; we feel what we feel and we shouldn't have to deny this or ignore this. We are not making a mistake if we stay true to what we believe and feel.

Even during my year of being forty there have been times when I have thought back and considered that maybe what I did was a mistake, or perhaps that I should have developed my poker face with more aplomb...however, then I wouldn't be who I am...with all my faults.

However, there are occasions where one's poker face is the best course of action. I am about to sit down with the hobbits and cuddle up with a film and some popcorn. All great actually, however it is a film with Jim Carrey in it...who I can't stand. But I will poker face it out just for a snuggle with my superheroes.

No comments: