Total Pageviews

Wednesday 23 October 2013

A sequel...

I am rather pleased to report that the first draft of the 'novel' is now complete.

It has now gone to four separate corners of the globe (well, the UK) to be dissected, discussed and mocked by those in the know.

Four poor unsuspecting souls who are quite prepared to read the worst insult to the English language, have offered to proof read my 'novel'. All 73,000 words (and counting) of it...I will owe them much beer, wine and a fatted calf.

It was not easy to choose four different people to read it and I thank those others who have offered to subject themselves through such pain. Please do not take offence at not being asked, as I may yet ask you for your services in the future. However for now I chose these four people because I trust that they will tell me if it's crap, where it must be re-written or alternatively burnt in some strange ceremony involving three feathers, a candle made by witches, the blood of a toad and a match.

I have everything ready but the match...

We are still a long way off from being complete. There is bound to be draft 2, 3 or 4 yet...but initial signs look hopeful and positive.

However what these four poor souls are subjecting themselves is not just reading it the once, but it is quite possible with their feedback that they will be reading it so often that they will be having nightmares about it in their sleep.

So I wanted to thank them. Lady London, Big A, Intelligent Totty and Mr 'I will motivate you if it kills me' S. I do not want to detract how important other people have been in supporting me through this venture, Pootle, L, my Dad...however the big four mentioned were all chosen for a very specific reason.

Lady London and Big A have been pushing me to write a novel for years. They have been behind the scenes encouraging and boosting my self esteem to make me feel like I should at least try. When you have friends who believe enough in you to make you want to try something that feels like it has been a dream for too many years to mention, it is incredibly empowering.

They individually have a role however, as Lady London will check my grammar whereas Big A will judge certain scenes with a fine tooth comb and check timelines and research. Being an ex-teacher and all.

As for Mr S; not only do I value his opinion greatly and am a little bit in awe of his knowledge about how to write, he has also been motivating me gradually and gently since I first told him I wanted to write a book. An excellent writer himself, he has actually been quietly giving me advice on how to overcome re-write panics, editing hang-ups, character definition and much much more. His advice has been invaluable and I know I wouldn't have finished the story by now if it wasn't for him.

Finally there is Intelligent Totty; the woman who not only has to deal with Mr S on a daily basis, but also her over anxious, stressed out friends; she is much like the feeling of calm after a storm.  I know she will read it with the freshest eyes of all and read it as it is intended to be - simply a novel. It will be her that I will look to as to whether or not it has a market, whether it really is a page turner - or just an acknowledgement of some stuff that I threw together in a few months and called it a book.

As for me, I confess to feeling a little bit of a loss while they dissect my words and make some sense out of them. The thing that has occupied my mind for far too long to mention has now been passed over  to those who will possibly make me cry with their feedback.

Hard isn't it? To let go of something that you love and know that it is quite likely not going to come back in the same way you released it.

So, I have discovered that I am a little bored of an evening now, I have a bit of extra time on my hands...well, I did...until Pootle suggested writing a sequel.

Now that is an idea....there is always gotta be a sequel eh?

3 comments:

Biker said...

Every author has lots of drafts and manuscripts are read by people who give good advice so be prepared to rewrite sections

Wonder(ing) Woman said...

Totally prepared... :-)

jonedavite said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.