Total Pageviews

Sunday 15 July 2012

The health benefits of a good cuppa...

I have just sat down to the best cup of tea ever.

You know the one that really hits the spot. Hot. Full of caffeine, with just the right amount of milk, in a very large mug.

I am a massive lover of tea.

Friends of mine who know me well will testify to this. In fact, as a very young baby I unfortunately had to spend a couple of weeks in hospital. When I was finally allowed to drink by mouth I refused everything the nurses offered, until my mother suggested warm milk with a dash of tea.
Down in one!

Although Sunday's are supposed to be officially a day of rest, no-one really rests in my house except the hamster. Hence the wonderful sensation of finally sitting down and having a really well deserved cuppa.

Pure nectar.

The world is always made right again with a cup of tea. Emotional women swear by it; labourers build their day around it; midwifes offer it after every childbirth to the exhausted mother; even hobbits love a cup of tea to dunk their chocolate biscuits in.

Today I have attempted to clean the house, twice. Completed three loads of washing and put it away. Packed the hobbits cases for their impending trip to Spain. Washed and cleaned out the car with my beautiful assistants...who ended up being more of a hindrance than a help, no matter how much pocket money they were trying to earn.

I was even super organised and had a chicken dinner on the table by 5.30, all eaten greedily...packed lunches for school ready and hobbits bathed by 6.15...I am a success...I am invincible. I am Wonder Woman with an invisible plane and a gold belt!

At 6.30 I couldn't quite believe my organisational skills. However, amazingly the hobbits were still hungry. Their capacity for food amazes me and before I knew it I was preparing bread and butter, cake and biscuits just to sustain them through till breakfast.

Bedtime routine is two books, lots of tickling, cuddling and a sing song. Which takes about thirty minutes to complete.

Then it's back to clearing up, letting the hamster out in his ball for some well deserved freedom and giving the house a chance to relax again; you can almost hear it breath a sigh of relief when all hobbits are asleep.

So time to put my slippered feet up and on occassion it will be a glass of wine; but for me, there are some times when only a cup of tea will do.

... and maybe a digestive biscuit or two - cheers!

No comments: