Total Pageviews

Wednesday 10 October 2012

Men are from Mars...

"Why can't a woman be more like a man?
Men are so honest, so thoroughly square,
Eternally noble, historically fair.
Who, when you win, will always give your back a pat.
Why can't a woman, be like that?" Professor Higgins, My Fair Lady.

One of the biggest issues in our social world are the differences between the way men and women think and act. I know that this has been discussed by far more intelligent people than I, however it is an issue that has raised itself in a discussion between a friend of mine and myself today.

My friend has recently started dating someone and has on more than one occasion asked me if he is possibly thinking the same thing as her. Does he feel the same anxiety when he doesn't hear from her? Does he worry from any self esteem issue? Do men lie awake at night, pondering whether or not they were good enough, whether they smelt right, tasted alright...or whether or not the partner noticed that they farted during 'the moment'.

Do men even think about a prospective partner throughout the day? Do they wonder what they are doing, and do they play the same god awful mind games?

My friend torments herself and wonders whether or not he does the same? She doubts it, and quite frankly, so do I.

We have discussed how interesting it would be to change roles for a week, or even just a day to see what really goes through a man's mind.

I have been reading 'Sex, Love and Chocolate' and I am reliably informed that men don't think about any of those things, they don't care about your stretch marks, extra weight - but they do care if you have bad breath or fart...really? I find that very hard to believe.

Why can't a man think more like a women? That's the question. Why do men and women think so differently, and see relationships so differently...why is it all so complicated? Really, on paper...none it should work.

But it does. With effort from both sides.

My dad would say that communication is the key. You can overcome anything, if you are honest with each other and are always clear in what you need, desire or don't like. Then nothing is ever clouded.

So maybe men are from Mars and women are from Venus, however I understand that there is a good line in translation dictionary's on Amazon...so if we all just make an effort to understand each others language it might just help reduce our own anxiety's.

Blog dedicated to my friend...she knows who she is. X

No comments: