Total Pageviews

Sunday 10 February 2013

Kevin vs Richard...

After a very indulgent bath last night and a homemade curry for one, (the hobbits don't eat it) I settled myself down for the romance in my life.

Ok, it was only on the TV but a girl has to get her kicks from somewhere, eh?

The Bodyguard was on last night, so I subjected myself to Kevin Costner, (Kev to his friends) playing the protective, caring hero. There he was, taking control of her safety, adding that little bit of romance and unspoken sexual tension, while Whitney Houston plays the dynamic superstar who is reluctant to have anyone look after her...the right amount of romantic escapism.

Pootle turned up about 11pm after her night out for a cup of tea, with tales of her evening out and quickly joined me on the adjoining sofa to watch Kev demonstrate his manly skills.

"Oh The Bodyguard, I love this film." She states, "not one for Kevin Costner normally, but in this film he is such the hero that you can't help but fancy him."
"I know," I say in agreement and we both watch him playing with his gun, shouting orders, punching other people who just simply irritate him and saving a little boy from being blown up in a boat.

Heavenly.

Even when he takes a bullet for Whitney and lies there wounded, possibly dying and Whitney is being pulled away from cradling him in her arms, we know the words. She shrugs them all off and in a pained voice shouts, "He's my Bodyguard!" Which Pootle and I both shout at the screen...we feel it with you Whitney, we understand your pain.

Finally the goodbye scene, where the heroine stops the plane and and runs into his arms...oh it is all I can do to stop myself from reaching for the tub of ice cream that I found in the bottom of the freezer.
"Go to him Whitney," shouts Pootle.
"Yes, stop the plane and show him you love him." I concur, and Whitney and Kevin end up in a passionate embrace.

Needless to say we rewind it a couple of times.
"You know, the more I look at this, the more disappointed I am. That is a terrible kiss," I say, ever the critic.
Pootle grimaces, "you know it is, I never noticed that before..."
We watch it again, in fact it is an epic fail of a kiss. The whole film is leading up to this moment and the pair of them are looking like they have had their faces pushed into something nasty.

What a let down.

Don't think I will be watching that again...give me An Officer and a Gentleman any day...Richard Gere in his very sexy naval uniform, dealing with his emotional anguish and the final scene of him returning for the woman he loves...his officers hat gets me every time.

Hmm...I think I know what I am watching tonight. Will get more ice cream in preparation.

2 comments:

Wonder(ing) Woman said...

To Pootle - always Richard eh? What did I tell ya? Xx

biker said...

I wonder which one had been eating garlic??