Total Pageviews

Saturday 8 June 2013

A year's work...

So this morning we left the house early in search of a farmer...

With the hobbits and Pootle in tow, we took ourself off to the farm show of the year in the South of England, hoping and praying that there would be a nice virile farmer to chat up in order to drive a tractor.

The weather at least was on our side. The sun was out, although there was a bit of a chill in the wind, but in no way was that going to dampen our spirits and determination.

Finally we found what we were looking for...great big monster tractors. In fact Pootle and I became quite excited by these beasts, they are truly enormous. So we approached a very official looking man, I could tell he was official...he had a smart shirt on and a badge.

Bob was very helpful and after a small explanation, he went off to get the keys to the biggest tractor I have ever seen. Top of the range; the Ferrari of the farming world...opened the cab, and gestured for me to get in.

Ok...I didn't actually get to drive it, but Bob very kindly took the time to explain what everything did, how many gears it had forward (32) and in reverse (12)...and much, much more. It was amazing, and looks very complicated to drive. I have to say, I think that sitting in the cab and having the controls explained to me by Bob may just be about the closest I am ever going to get...but I enjoyed it anyway. So, maybe half a tick on that one?



Pootle and I continued to perv a little over the giant combine harvesters, one whose wheels completely dwarfed me; some antique tractors; drive around lawnmowers and quad bikes...(you'd have loved them Dad.)

So I didn't quite manage to drive a tractor...perhaps another day, but I did manage to tick off one more thing on the list...I finally managed to find the perfect, pink, suede cowboy hat...modelled by me next to the biggest tyre I have ever seen.

So unless an off the road experience comes up in the next four days, I think we are done...at a guess, I would say that the list was 95% completed.

Not bad for a year's work, eh?

1 comment:

Biker said...

Brilliant