Total Pageviews

Thursday 4 July 2013

Whirled peas...


"I am making an 'erb garden" says J to us at lunchtime.

We are out celebrating the fact that she has worked here (here being the place we all work) for ten years to the day...and a select few of us are sharing a drink and a pie at a local establishment.

"Pray, tell me what is an 'erb garden?" I ask...keen to discover in case it is something I have seriously missed out on in Biology at school.

She tuts at me, "You know. A garden. With 'erb's."

"Of course...I know exactly what you are talking about." I reassure her.
It is terrible, I shouldn't mock the afflicted who can't say their 'h's...In fact, I am sure I saw a helpline number just the other day for it; although it may have been an 'elpline...one doesn't recall.

So we are discussing the beauty and wonder that is, an 'erb garden...J is making Basil, perhaps some Chives but definitely not mint...can't see the point in growing mint.

"Good to throw in the Pimm's," I suggest.
She looks at me as if reconsidering the mint growing element.
"Is broccoli an 'erb?" she asks...
Needless to say no one answers, because if it isn't...everyone feels that it should be.

"You know what I can't stand?" she says, and her nose crinkles up in disgust at the mere thought of it. This is gonna be good....

"Mushy peas." She looks at us around the table, waiting for someone to back her up..."I mean, what is the point. You don't mash peas."
"You need tiny mashers to do it though." I offer quietly.
"You need proper peas." She says defiantly, standing up for the humble pea.
"Let me guess," says S, "Bird's Eye?"
"Oh God yes," she agrees, "Petis Pois...classy peas."
"Not minted then?" I suggest.
J shakes her vehemently, "Never. Minted peas? God no. Bird's Eye, Petis Pois."

Classy Peas for a classy lady...

Happy 10th Anniversary J...a class of her own. A formidable woman at work, respected and loved...and often teased. Here's to the next ten....

No comments: